Monday, August 02, 2004

: : death and memories : :



My father's sister died today from cancer early this morning... 4am to be exact... She had the same illness as my grandmother... I haven't seen her for a long time now... Haven't even seen her for the year... I guess I'll never see her again... One of my father's brother informed us about her death this morning... I can't quite describe the way I felt when I found out... I'm not really close to my father's family... But she's always been nice to me and my sister... I remember she would usually let me use their electrinic piano when I was just a kid. The ones where the keys light up so that you can play the tune like a pro... And I remember eating some really good ube from her house one fiesta time... I don't have much to remember her by... And that's sad... After the death of my grandparents, things have been different in the family over there... The house felt different... We felt differently... They felt different to us... There was always tension and fake smiles in the air whenever we would visit... Things became complicated... It was complicated... And death doesn't change the whole picture...
Or should it?


I also found out today that Daddy Baby died over the weekend... He was the father of a childhood friend of mine... I have very fond memories of him from my childhood days... Although I haven't seen him in years... Probably more that a decade... He used to pick me up to go to school in my Casa days in Montessori together with his kids - Ria, Mikha, Marjo, Milko, Marissa, and of course Cobmo - I think he was a Pomeranian. Cobmo was the star of the show then, and Daddy Baby's baby... I remember the fights we used to have in Daddy Baby's Jeep... And how he would scold all of us with his famous punyeta line... I first heard that word from him... Sometimes, we would stay with him and watch him play tennis after school... And he would buy us food... Then we would all start brawling at the back of the Jeep... I liked him... And it's really sad that he's gone...


Isn't that weird? That I grieve more so with somebody that I'm not related to by blood, nor have seen in the last ten years than my Aunt?
Death becomes synonymous to memories...
Without memories, death turns you into nothing...


may they have peace in the after-life...

No comments: