Tuesday, July 27, 2004

: : birthdays in July , fiestas, & Pork : :



July is the birthday month in our family. My Mom celebrated her 53rd birthday on the 21st in Fiji, and my grandmother celebrated her 77th birthday on the 23rd. the family had a thanksgiving birthday bash for my Lola... we had roasted pig and all the usual trappings to go with it...

My Mom's birthday is also the town fiesta in my Aunt's neighbourhood. So it was another feast of pork and more pork.
unfortunately I wasn't able to partake in tasting all the food since I just vowed to myself to stop eating meat. talk about the untimeliness of that one... but it's all good... I'm still hanging on to my vow to go meatless... Though sometimes I really feel like the meat is calling out to me and saying "eat me Mari, eat me"... Why is it that whenever you decide on not doing something, that the prospect of doing that thing that you promised yourself you won't do, suddenly seems so enticing to you, when before, it really didn't matter that much to you... But when you have vowed to yourself to completely ignore it, it morphes itself to something you can't help but notice? One of life's ironies...

i've been meatless (literally and metaphorically! har har) for almost 3 months now. And that is a WOW for me considering the fact that I grew up with a family that gorges on meat every single day. My Lolo considers a meal without any meat in it to be incomplete and unacceptable! I've only been eating chicken and tuna for so long now that I can't even tell the difference between the two... :-p

*** considering the seriousness of my last entry, this one may be referred to as a breather from it all... :-) ***

sigh... sigh... sigh... sigh...

No comments: